Friday, February 3, 2012

How Succulent!

I picked up some more plants today for my indoor gardens that I'm going to create--pickins are slim around here.  I researched how to start a new plant from cuttings, and most say to allow a leaf from a succulent plant to callous (dry out for a few days) before putting it into soil.  I remember my mom just sticking a leaf right back into the dirt if it fell off.  I used rooting powder, and did not allow them to dry out.  Perhaps I should experiment and try both ways.  I bought one large container of various cactus to divide up, because I wasn't finding much variety.  I have more cactus & succulents for potted arid designs than I have for moist terrariums.  I did, however, pick up 4 mini ferns today.  I have mostly small containers to work with too, so I'm likely to go a Bonsai route with some of these.

I'm excited about my new hobby that will add to my horticultural experience!  & hopefully fetch me a few dollahs too!

These videos were fun video to look at:


No comments:

Post a Comment