Friday, March 23, 2012

Blog Topic Request: WWAD?

I put the request for blog topic suggestions out there, and here's what I got:

Suggestion:
I would be interested in what your artists friends (or you) think/do/or experiences in dealing with:
Making the wrong choice, even when you know it's wrong...


My response:
That's good...care to elaborate? Concerning relationships? Work? Family ? Or open ended question?

Suggestion elaborated:
 All of the above... I believe the creativity, reckless abandon, and the lack of inhibition that makes artists who they are, spills over into the life choices of the artists. Which is why artists seem to have more "colorful" drama... for a lack of a better description, The" Hank Moody's" of the real world. The trouble, perils, and ultimately greater rewards of pursuing what makes them tick...


So, I'm taking this as What Would Artists Do?  My gosh, this could become huge!  Tons of questions piling in about all kinds of situations asking WWAD?  I could even get bracelets made!  woohoo!

Ok, now seriously....

I think this is a great question, though honestly, I'm not sure I'm the right one to answer it.  But it was directed to me/for my blog, so here it here it go:

I guess stereotypes come about for a reason...if enough of a certain group of people act a certain way, they get stereotyped.  I stereotype cops--unless they prove themselves otherwise--I admit.  Even artists...yes, there are a lot of them who over indulge in drugs and alcohol and wild behavior (or just sit on couches and talk about what they are gonna do, but ultimately never do it).  But me...I'm not an over indulger of these vices, and drama will send me running FAST.

I can't say that I make the wrong choice even when I know it's wrong.  I make mistakes--everyone does--but I'm not reckless.  I think things through--possibly too much.  I'm a thinker.  I'm also a feeler--often too much so for my own good.  I'm an empath--so I've been told, and have to agree.  I am no Hank Moody--though I dig the show Californication that his character is on, because I like to drain my brain of all that thinking sometimes and soak up some brain dead TV.  Personally, there are some other shows that top that one for me though, like My Name is Earl-- it functions much better at giving me laughs, and helping me clear my mind for sleep.  Arrested Development worked for a bit too.  The only thing I have in common with Hank Moody is that there is cool art on the walls in some of the shots, and I think it would be cool if some of my art could hang in one of those episodes.

My troubles and perils have predominantly been related to my near death experiences, countless health challenges, deaths of loved ones (including beloved pets, and the loss of my mother being the greatest loss of all), and the emotional and financial challenges that have been attached to these events.  I don't have a lot of drama with ex's.  I have one person who I loved--still love--whole heartedly and unconditionally.  I feel no animosity toward any ex.  Actually, anyone I have loved romantically I have loved unconditionally.  It just was never the same as it was with this one soulmate.  I easily moved forward after anything ended with anyone else.  I might shed a tear here or there, or feel a little sadness if it ended abruptly or in a not so kind manner, but I don't create or indulge in drama.  And after a few days, wow...it's almost shocking how easily I can shake it off.  But you know...when you've seen as much death as I have, and been so close to death as I have, things just line up under a different perspective than they do for others.

So you see....I have more in common with Vietnam Vets than I do with other artists.

As far as getting at the "greater rewards of pursuing what makes them tick.." This Artist--ArtistCG--me--I--can't really say for sure how I would have ended up if #1 I never had cancer and been through a bone marrow transplant #2 My marriage never ended #3 I never lost my mother or witnessed the other deaths that I have.  Maybe I'd be making a whole lot more money?  Maybe I'd have a 40 hour white collar job?  Maybe I'd have what would appear like the American Dream, but maybe there could be drama behind the scenes?  Maybe.........I wouldn't be the artist that I am.  Hmmm...one never knows.

My advice to the asker or anyone else would be:

  • Try to make the right choices that align with your heart so that you have no regrets.  
  • If you have a passion--pursue it.  
  • If you are extremely stressed at your job, considering quitting it--yes, quitting--and getting another job.  You might have to make sacrifices in other areas, but ultimately you can make it balance.  
  • Don't stay with someone if they don't complete you.  
  • Don't just screw around if the repercussions from doing so are too troublesome.  
Make choices that you can be comfortable with the results of.
If you try something (or someone) and you went into it thinking it was the right choice, and suddenly it goes wrong.  Don't beat yourself or the other person up.  It was the right choice for the time.  And when you move on, that can be the right choice too.  I try to believe--and it might just be a coping mechanism--that everything happens for reason.  I believe we meet others for a reason--for us to change their lives, them to change ours, or perhaps for a mutual exchange.  And even if a relationship goes sour, at the time if it felt right, so be it....we have helped them move forward with their destiny, and they have done the same for us.

So, you see for me...it isn't crazy creative choices spilling over into my life, it's my life spilling over into my creativity...and I hope I use it wisely...I hope I make positive changes to change the world in a positive manner.  The aforementioned lack of inhibition that makes stereotypical "artists who they are" ...I certainly can't relate to.  I am expressive.  I am painfully intelligent.  Therefore, I have educated opinions that can make some uneasy.  I am open minded.  But I'm much more of a loner than anyone realizes, and at times losing some inhibition might actually be good for me.


WWACGD?

WRITE ON!





No comments:

Post a Comment