Monday, January 9, 2012

No Good Men? Nonsense!

I wrote a paper in college--back in my 20s--titled No Good Men?  Nonsense!
This was praised highly by my male writing instructor.  I had met the acquaintance of many good guys, so I had lots of resources to back up my claims.

I had good guy friends who were like brothers to me---my Caldean boys!  I MISS THEM!!!!

I slept with a lot of guys.  By this I mean I would sleep next to them.  None of them ever pressured me for sex.  I slept with way more than I had sex with, and many of them I never kissed.  I had dates.  These guys remained my friends without romantic involvement.  If I didn't reciprocate their affection they didn't abandon me, they still valued me--perhaps even respected me more--as a friend, a woman, a human being.

Times have changed.  Routinely, I am alienated from men who discard me when I rebuke their advances.  Back in the day, it was never a sex-or-nothing option.  Today, it is sooo different.  They want the sex, but they don't want to date.  They don't spend enough time talking to develop a friendship.  They want the girl to drive, to pay (if they do go out), and then if/when sex does happen--they don't know how to please a woman!  A girl can't even get asked out for a cup of coffee.  When I was finally asked out by a guy recently, he asked me to go to a strip bar, then he became irate when I declined.  wtf  If I was to write an essay today I sadly report that it would need to be called Where did chivalry and compassion go?  and...I know where the clitoris is--do you?

In the meanwhile, I wrote this poem:  New Age Nostalgia

No comments:

Post a Comment