Wednesday, January 18, 2012

These Boots (Update)

The poet I wanted to collab with on a video--Joyce Conley--has dropped out.  These things happen, life gets hectic.  I'm contemplating if I want to change the These Boots theme or not.  It began with my idea to film a music type video with spoken word, to have the female empowerment thing hittin with a 1-2 punch!  Of course Joyce was my go-to girl!  She won me over with her poem Preconceived Notions long ago.  She mentioned liking the song These Boots Are Made For Walking, and I said "that's it!  it'll be about boots!"  But, it will feel odd doing it without her.  :(  I do have a girl who does sign language who said she'll sign for my spoken word--YAY!  That will open the audience to the hearing impaired, and I'm geeked about that!  Though I'll have lots of other people as extras in the video, I didn't want this to be a one-woman show.  I'll figure it out.  I like to tell myself that everything happens for a reason.


I read an interesting article in the Sunday New York Times The Rise Of the New Groupthink: Collaboration is in. But it may not be conducive to creativity.

The article brings up many strong points that I believe to be true, but wasn't sure if it was just me, trying to rationalize the reason behind my being so solitary for the majority of my life.  I tell myself that perhaps I'm meant to be alone so that I can bring my creative ideas to fruition.  Working--though I like my job--is often painful to my psyche, who would rather be following through on some of my minds creative ideas.  I spend the majority of my time alone, and I'm comfortable with this--to a degree.  I long for a companion, but there is no way I could be with anyone who would dare stifle my creativity!!!  I need to get out and get social periodically, but even with that, I want to spend my time on something that will inspire me further, and allow me to grab some good photos.

The portion of the article on brainstorming groups was especially enlightening.  I think I probably blew it with Joyce by having her and I meet with Chris to brainstorm.  I already had my idea solidified.  I should have just assigned the tasks individually, and then allowed us to come together when it was time to rehearse or film.  Joyce could have went off and written her own thing--which I have complete faith in her that it would be as deep to the point as I would want it to be.  Sitting there with the intention to discuss my vision for the video with Chris (had already ran it by Joyce), the topics strayed.  Joyce and I have varying viewpoints on some things, and that's ok, but it shouldn't have entered into this creative project.  I might come off as bossy, but it's just that my visions and my goals with my art are just that...mine.  For example, my desire to include diverse people in my various art projects to promote my overall message of unity in diversity and acceptance.  My In the Bedroom series included many models of diverse backgrounds, but I was in charge, and they willingly and happily cooperated--it was not a collab, there was no brainstorming, it was my brainchild and I guided them through their segment of it.  With my photo projects, and with my art project Hung Out to Dry, I am the director.  Those participating bring with them their own individuality.  I don't wish to turn them into something they are not--I value them as they are--but I direct to keep the vision fluid.

Still, this new adventure of moving in the direction of film is a learning experience for me.
Everyone is free to do whatever they want to do as a human being or an artist.  When it comes to a vision I have it's difficult to budge me.  I take the lead.  But, if Joyce invited me to do something she had an idea for, I'd follow.  If Chris is the creative mind behind a film project and he asks me to participate, and I do, then it's his game...it's teamwork, but not groupthink so-to-speak.  Expressing ideas is fine, but coming to a stalemate is no good.  Someone has to direct.  He's ready to film this video, is open to my ideas, and I'll value his input and expertise when it comes time to do the filming aspect, but it's still my storyline so-to-speak.  Can u dig it?

Aight...now go read that article and share your thoughts with me!


Images from Hung Out to Dry during Art Peers Fall Festival 2010:







 
   Standing is Kwame, who I want to be a part of the video too




Here's Joyce!  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment